Everyone is looking for a shortcut, and it makes sense that if there’s a way to get where you are going without as much effort, you should take it. When it comes to speech, voice, and presence, the best method is to find the best practices and do them consistently. There is no shortcut.
Perhaps the best tip is stop putting off the inevitable. If you keep ignoring your speech, it won’t get better. Instead, start with the basics, and stick with the program.
What are the Basic Components to improve your Speech, Accent, Voice & Presence:
- Awareness: There is no substitute. If you aren’t aware (at a very deep level) of what you are doing differently, you won’t be able to change it.
- Breath Work: If you don’t pay attention to how you breathe and you just talk as fast as you like, you won’t ever speak in a commanding way.
- Reflection: If you don’t listen to yourself speaking, take in valuable feedback, set realistic goals for change, and follow a path for improvement based on what you learn, you will not see improvement.
- Just do it: If you only work on your speech when it’s convenient; when you’re not tired… when you have nothing else to do; the chance of substantial improvement? Not great.
- Be Specific: Doing random exercises, watching lots of videos, trying to “remember” to do things differently or copying other people: all methods to avoid change. Take the time to figure out what you UNIQUELY need to do differently: then do it.
- Get Help: Continuing to do the same things over and over again expecting a different result? Not effective. If you aren’t sure how to improve, ask a qualified Coach to help you get to the next level, and then JUST DO IT.